Large Natural Resource Company
- Multi-jurisdictions. Procurement, purchasers in many different locations.
- The client’s policy was to have Legal review every contract before signing.
- Legal became a bottleneck in the workflow.
- It was most acute in the Procurement function.
- Staff in the field were dissatisfied with in-house legal processing time.
How Simplex Legal helped:
- Established guidelines on what Legal must review but more importantly what Legal won’t review.
- Prioritized what is most pressing and what matters most to the company.
Create new process:
- Designed an intake form in the language of the people who would complete it to gather basic information in a consistent way. This then fed into a tracking system.
- Files were now visible to all members of the team, priorities were flagged, cycle time was monitored and high-risk files got priority processing.
- Align resources using Simplex to equalize workflow.
What Simplex Legal achieved for this client:
- Increased processing efficiency that further enabled demand prediction and staffing needs (workflow management).
- Ability to offer a service commitment to the field and ensure rapid response time for top priority files.
- This acted as a retention tool – the internal team got the most strategic files.
- Side benefit: Legal department management now had data showing total number of contracts and their value which demonstrated department activity.